Announcing the 2022 Mobi Awards
Multimodal Investments Transforming Communities
The North Carolina Department of Transportation is seeking nominations for its 3rd
2022 Mobi Awards Program!
The Mobi Award recognizes projects that showcase the important and transformational role that investments in aviation, bicycle/pedestrian, ferry, rail and public transportation play in creating vibrant communities in all parts of the State. Multimodal projects are an important piece of North Carolina’s future – connecting people to places, providing alternative modes of travel and making our state more accessible, attractive and competitive. The Mobi represents a multimodal focus that is at the heart of NCDOT’s mission to leverage all the State’s transportation infrastructure to ensure a strong economy for future generations.
How can you get involved?
If you are a public agency including Towns, Cities, Counties, MPOs, RPOs, public transportation systems and authorities, airport authorities, and Councils of Government (not NCDOT) you can apply at the following website: www.connect.ncdot.gov/Mobi
If you are a consultant, you can spread the word to your public agency clients and assist them in submitting a nomination. You can also become a Mobi Awards Luncheon sponsor by contacting WTS/NC Go! at the following email address: email@example.com
If you are an NCDOT employee, you can spread the word to public agency customers, encouraging the submittal of nominations.
What projects are eligible?
· Projects that include at least two or more of the following modes: bicycle/pedestrian, aviation, rail, ferry, transit, or roadway
· Construction has been completed (not in planning or design stages)
· Project has been completed or the project put into service within the past 5 years (Jan 2017-Feb 2022)
· Previously submitted projects can be resubmitted, if they did not win an award. New application must be filled as questions have changed
What are the award categories?
A panel of judges will select one winner and three honorable mentions in each of five project categories: rural, small urban, urban, large urban, innovation and a winner in the newly added category of MVP (Most Valued/ Voted Project). At the submission of your online application a link will be generated for your project that can be shared with citizens and social media to collect as many votes as possible to select the MVP. More details can be found on the website.
What criteria will be used to select winners?
· Project leverages or spurs private investment and partnerships
· Project boosts economic development (business or tourism)
· Project creates long-term jobs
· Project increases connectivity and access
· Project improves public health
· Project enhances community quality of life
· Project improves diversity and equity
· Other unique, innovative or significant elements
How do I apply?
A website with additional information including an online application will be launched by NCDOT on Monday, January 10, 2022. Applications will be due by Friday, February 4, 2022.
What are examples of successful multimodal projects?
· LYNX Blue Line Extension Light Rail Project
· Craven Street Transportation Improvements
· Corolla Greenway Project Phase III
· G.K. Butterfield Transportation Center
· Surf City Topsail Island Bridge Connector
When will the awards be presented?
The 2022 Mobi Awards will be presented by NCDOT Leadership at a luncheon in Raleigh on Wednesday, May 4, 2022, at 11:30 a.m. at the Marriott, downtown Raleigh. Registration information will become available on the website in March 2022.
For additional information email firstname.lastname@example.org