The N.C. Department of Transportation’s “Complete Streets” policy directs the department to consider and incorporate several modes of transportation when building new projects or making improvements to existing infrastructure. The benefits of this approach include:
- Making it easier for travelers to get where they need to go;
- Encouraging the use of alternative forms of transportation;
- Building more sustainable communities;
- Increasing connectivity between neighborhoods, street, and transit systems;
- Improving safety for pedestrians, cyclists, and motorists.
Stakeholders are invited to one of five Complete Streets Training sessions this month to learn about the policy. Registration and additional information can be found here.